Friday, November 11, 2011

Christmas Can Suck It


Christmas is December 25th. Christmas is always December 25th, even in a leap year. So, why the fuck is Christmas attacking me? Between the Christmas anthems (which I actually like for about 3 days) and the oodles of red and green paraphernalia stacked on the shelves of every store Christmas is out in full force – on November 11th. WHY?! While I love getting presents, in the past few years I’ve come to hate Christmas. Big fucking surprise. Here’s why: 

      1.       Salvation Santa:  In about two weeks there will be a Salvation Army Santa outside of every mall and Wal Mart. This middle aged white man, who is NOT Santa, will ask you for money to put in his little collector thingy. He will ask you for cash when you go in the store and when you leave. It’s like paying a fucking toll for shopping. He will also ring a bell in your face in the most annoying manner. I see you. You don’t need a sound effect, I’m just ignoring you. If you decide not to give him money for one of a gazillion valid reasons, he will inevitably shame you with a cold stare or a “Happy Holidays.” Well guess what, it would be happy if you’d stop begging on the streets. And what does this tell kids? (Yes, Delilah’s worried about the children.)That Santa is a beggar and the only way he can afford to give them and all of their friends presents is if we give him money? What happened to the slave elves working away in the North Pole? Their little sausage fingers gluing toy trains together. I swear, you let one fucking elf be a dentist and look what happens, the whole system falls apart. Personally, I’d rather see a dirty, drunk Santa. You know what I’m talking about. The skinny crackhead who dresses up as Santa to take pictures with the kids and get some extra cash. You always see him wandering the streets the next day with his filthy Santa suit and 40 in his hand. That’s what Christmas is made of…shattered dreams and a dirty Santa.

      2.       Holiday Spirit: I hate holiday spirit. Mainly because Holiday Spirit implies happiness. I think not. Who the fuck is happy? Do you see happy people running around Toys R Us on the 23rd while trying to find a Tickle Me Elmo? NO. People are not happy about the holidays. Christmas means stress and money and family and a whole basket of awfulness. Yet somehow here we are: grimacing through yet another washed up pop star’s version of “All I Want for Christmas,” smiling politely and thanking Can’t Bake Carol for the fruitcake, re-gifting last year’s stone waterfall, and  wishing we could shoot the caroling, money seeking kids between the eyes and run away to Fiji. Maybe that last one is just me….

      3.       Decorations: It’s just extra work. Let’s be honest. First there’s the whole tree thing. If you get a real one you need to go chop it down or pay someone to do so for you. Labor intensive and costly. A fake tree means putting it together and praying to the birthday boy that you have all of the pieces. No one enjoys this. If they tell you they do, they’re lying. After that there are decorations to consider. For those of you lucky enough to have never put lights on a Christmas tree, I am SO jealous of your life. Our tree is always crooked and those damn lights usually don’t work from year to year. But don’t worry; when you plug them into the wall, it seems as if they work. When you put them on the tree and plug them in only half of them work. It’s the law of Christmas. I like to keep the lights on the tree as a reminder that Christmas will be a failure – just like the lights. I think it keeps me grounded.

      4.       Family: I love my family. They’re sweet and caring, completely adorable and the best part is, they love Christmas even more than I do! In reality I want to throw a banana at them and run up to my girlcave with all of my new, shiny things. OoOoO presents! Delilah like. However, I cannot escape to my grilcave of greatness to admire my Christmas loot, I must stay downstairs will all of the spider monkeys and attempt to be social. It proves difficult for Delilah, hater of all humans, especially those with whom I share DNA. However, I have learned a trick: play sick. Hint: This also works in scenes of a sexual nature, but I usually opt for playing dead, much more dramatic. The downside to playing sick is that people might occasionally come to check on you. Since this is always a possibility it is important that you keep your door locked and be EXCELLENT at fake sick face. If you cannot play sick and must interact with your family, the next best thing to do is drink. This will enable you to say inappropriate things, be loud and obnoxious, AND  pass out. It’s the best thing to do. Plus, if you’re really bad, they won’t come back next year. Do your best.
Ugh. I really fucking hate Christmas. It’s going to be a long 43 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment